Monday 21 April 2014

Javid pleased with Warwickshire progress.

Warwickshire all-rounder Ateeq Javid believes that his side are in a ‘strong position’ in their match with Lancashire despite a recovery from the hosts in the final session.

Lancashire claimed five wickets for 44 runs to pin Warwickshire back in the evening session, but with a lead of 69 runs overnight, they remain in control of the match.

Javid believes that the visitors are in with a chance of securing their first win of the season and is hopeful that conditions will provide Lancashire’s batsmen with a challenge when they bat tomorrow.

Javid said: “We batted really well and looking at it at the end of the day we are in a pretty strong position with a 70-run lead.

“Hopefully we can get a few more runs tomorrow morning and then put the pressure on the Lancashire batters, especially with the wicket turning so hopefully we will be in the game.”

Javid’s 68-run stand with England international, Ian Bell, frustrated the Lancashire bowlers throughout the afternoon and Bell went on to make 75, adding to his cause to remain a key role in the England team.

“Obviously Belly has got a lot of experience and he is a class batsman. That was actually my first time batting with him and I really enjoyed my time at the crease with him.”

Javid made a patient contribution of 25 from 83 balls, displaying a confidence with the bat not normally attributed to a cricketer of just 22 years of age and played with a temperament contrary to that of most of the Lancashire side.

“I see myself as a batter and hopefully I can contribute a bit more throughout the season, also with my bowling as well, but I definitely value my role as a top-order batter.”

Lancashire’s bowlers struggled for most of the day, but were eventually rewarded for their efforts and Javid was keen to praise the way the hosts bowled today.

“After lunch I though they bowled pretty well especially when I went in and Belly and I were batting. There was a period where they bowled really well and consistently and it was just a case of me and Belly trying to stay in there and be as patient as possible.”

One bowler whose record continues to expand is county veteran Glen Chapple, who claimed his 900th first-class wicket for Lancashire today, becoming the 15th Lancastrian to do so.


Javid said: “To take 900 first-class wickets you have to be a good bowler, which he is. He has got a lot of experience and is a great bowler for Lancashire.”

No comments:

Post a Comment