Friday 30 May 2014

Flintoff returns for T20 Blast.

Flintoff has ben training with the Lancashire squad for a while now.
Andrew Flintoff has come out of retirement to play for Lancashire in the Natwest T20 Blast after four years away from cricket.

The former England all-rounder was forced to retire from all forms of the game in 2010 due to a serious knee injury, but the 36-year-old will make his return to the Lancashire team after a period of recuperation.

Flintoff said: "I'm really honoured to be part of Lancashire once again. It is something that I never thought would happen but after training with the squad over the last few months I am really happy they have invited me to play.

"I have worked really hard to get back to my fittest and I hope we have a successful summer. I'm just glad that I can be a part of it."

The former England captain had been rumoured to make a return earlier this year, but a sprained ankle hampered his chances to make a comeback for the start of the t20 campaign.

Flintoff will be remembered as a hard-hitting batsman, capable of bowling 90mph and if he is at full strength then Lancashire will be serious contenders this year, having already won three matches in the North Group.

Lancashire's director of cricket, Mike Watkinson, added: "Fred has been back at Emirates Old Trafford under his own steam since the winter and has been working with the Academy and in the nets with some of the other players.

"He has shown in practice that he still has plenty of class with bat and ball and will be a great addition to the Natwest T20 Blast squad."

Flintoff was a significant figure in the England side and celebrated Ashes success against Australia in 2005 and 2009. He played 79 Tests, 141 One Day Internationals and 7 Twenty20 matches before he was forced to retire.

He has also made it clear that he hopes to be a member of the Lancashire squad beyond the 2014 season, saying: "I don't want it to be one year. You see Brad Hogg playing in the Big Bash, Brad Hodge is playing for Australia at 39, Glen Chapple's 40 and still charging in in four dayers."

Lancashire are currently top of the North Group after defeating the Durham Jets yesterday by one run and will face the Birmingham Bears at Old Trafford tonight as they hope to continue their form in this format.

Their strong position will only be enhanced by the return of Flintoff, who played 29 domestic t20 matches, with a highest score of 93 against Derbyshire. His ability to be a three-dimensional cricketer makes him perfect for this format of the game and there are new rumours that South African, Faf du Plessis, may also be returning to Lancashire.

Flintoff added, "I'd sooner try and have it not come off than sit at home for the rest of my days thinking, 'I should have tried this I should have had a go.' I don't live like that."

No comments:

Post a Comment